Tuesday, November 13, 2007

How Green Was My Valley... How Readable is My Blog


The Blog Readability Test

Mr. B. stumbled upon an interesting site that purports to evaluate the readability of a blog and assigns an educational level that would allow the reader to understand postings. Naturally I tried this with a few of the blogs that I read regularly. I report the following results merely to indicate the spread of readability among several very good blogs.


gentlemansc.blogspot.com Elementary School


money-law.blogspot.com Junior High

bardiac.blogspot.com


scienceblogs.com/pharyngula High School

www.margaretsoltan.com

science-professor.blogspot.com

ianqui.blogspot.com


blog.lib.umn.edu/schwitz/healthnews College

leiterlawschool.typepad.com Post-Grad


slavesofacademe.blogspot.com Genius

joannao.blogspot.com/


The sweet spot seems to be high school level, but this is not an exhaustive survey. Just for fun.

Anomalies

Although the general rankings seem reasonable, I question whether an elementary student could understand one of my favorites, A Gentleman's C, written by the Angry Professor with assists from the Angry Baker and the Angry Kid. Although the language may be simple, the topics and discussion are er, shall we say, often adult.

Also I pumped in a web-site that is currently an empty template for OurProvost and out popped the opinion that the blog was college level. Kind of hard to imagine the basis for this conclusion since there aren't any posts yet.

Caveat lector.

Full Disclosures: The PT is rated College level. I stumbled upon this readability site at Brian Leiter's blog.

Ciao

Bonzo

No comments: